Day 3... Traveling Part 2 (Conclusion)

I just arrived back in Atlanta from DC yesterday. I had such a great trip. I got to visit a lot of monuments and museums, like the Botanic Garden (picture), the Holocaust Museum, the Lincoln Memorial, etc. I also really enjoyed movie nights with my friends while we were there and just walking around a new city.


Unfortunately, I produced a lot more trash than I expected. Continuing from my Traveling Part 1 post, I added the hummus container, another package of instant rotini noodles, some things from eating out, and more that I'm probably not remembering. It may have been less trash than my trip mates, but it was way more than I usually produce. That makes me really disappointed. Since this was my first vacation since I became zero waste, this blog post is going to list a few things that can be done to make sure that you are living the most sustainable life while traveling.
  • Research stores and markets: I was planning to cook most of my meals at our Airbnb, but I had not researched local stores in the area that had bulk options or even vegan options. When I walked into that Trader Joe's and saw those individually wrapped zucchini, I was disgusted, and the lack of bulk options threw my planned recipe out the door. If I had already picked out a store or market to go to, I could have prevented this. If my research said that there were not any good stores to go to, I could have shopped at home and brought food on the drive. 
  • Research local food: If you do plan on cooking where you are staying, make it fun and different by cooking local food. If you are staying in an area that is known for a specific grain or vegetable, find a meal around it. You can still enjoy your destination's cuisine if you decide to cook instead of eating out.
  • Bring your supplies: Bring your reusable silverware and straw, so you can say no to the plastic options at restaurants. Bring produce and grocery bags if you plan to go to the store. Whatever is essential to you being zero waste at home, it might be worth packing it for the trip.
  • Plan restaurants: If you do want to eat out, you can! While some restaurants may seem to be less waste, like the pizza place I went to, you need to realize what waste is happening behind the scenes. When I ordered my vegan pizza, the crew switched out all of their gloves creating waste. It may not seem like a lot, but that adds up. 3 crew members changed their gloves for me, so if even just 3 more vegan people came through the restaurant, that would be 12 pairs of gloves that day. Eating at dives and non-chain restaurants may help this especially if you find one that locally sources its products or already has a zero waste vibes. 
  • Shop locally: Support small businesses for your souvenirs. Buy handmade options if possible or just buy from stores that have environmentally friendly procedures. Finding places like that may take research or practice, but eventually you get the hang of it. I went to the Goodwill to look for souvenir shirts instead of buying new ones.
  • Think about transportation: Driving and flying produce a lot of pollution. While my group did drive to DC because it was so much cheaper, there were a few of us sharing the car. Just be cautious and concerned about how your transportation will affect the planet. Once we got to DC though, we parked the car at the Airbnb and tried to take public transportation if we couldn't walk, like taking DC's Metro. If you can bike or walk, then do it. You'll get exercise from it too. 
These are just a few of the things that I recommend and will do for my next trip (coming in May and in June). All of these recommendations vary by where you are traveling, but it can basically be summed up into a few words - research, plan, always local, and be conscious of your impact.

Now enjoy these wonderful picture from my trip and make sure to follow my Instagram and Pinterest accounts! The links are on the upper right hand corner of my main blog screen page.


Comments