Slow Cooker Red Lentil Chili

Using a slow cooker really makes dinner easy. You just put all of the ingredients in and let it cook while you're at work, out, or whatever you want. This easy slow cooker red lentil chili is definitely one of my favorites. It is the epitome of easy and tastes so delicious. It's also full of protein and veggies! This picture does not do it justice. 

To make this recipe zero waste, I like to buy the beans dry. I soak them in water the night before I plan to cook (so you do have to think ahead), and simmer them for 1.5 hours in the morning. Then I start the slow cooker. This works for me because I usually cook on weekends when I'm home all day and can cook the beans before the dish. If you need to have your beans ready in the morning, then make sure to get them cooked beforehand, like have them soak the day before when you are out and cook them the night before.

The specific quantities and instructions are at the bottom of the post.

What goes in this recipe - bell pepper, jalapeƱo pepper, corn, red lentils, black beans, pinto beans, salsa, tomato paste, spices, and cream cheese (optional). The recipe is super easy because all you have to do is put everything in the slow cooker (except cream cheese which goes in at the end). Cook it on high for 4 - 6 hours or low for 6 - 8. I cook mine on high for 5 hours. Add the cream cheese until it melts if wanted. Eat with your favorite toppings. I eat mine without toppings, but it would be good with corn chips, crackers, more peppers, or cheese. 

You can also make your own vegetable broth, salsa, crushed tomatoes, and the cream cheese to make sure it is zero waste. I don't have recipes up for those yet, but you can find them on my Pinterest page (the button should be in the upper right hand corner of your screen). I personally use/make vegan cream cheese to go in mine.

This usually makes 7 servings for me, so I put the rest of the soup into containers. I either eat them as leftovers during the week if I'm ever too tired to cook and want something easy or I freeze them until they are needed.

You can share this to your Pinterest account! Use the share button on this post so you can save it for later!




Comments