Day 1... Grocery Shopping

Living a zero waste life and going grocery shopping can be very challenging. Ready made and processed products can be so tempting and sometimes cheaper. I admit, I am definitely not perfect when it comes to shopping at the grocery store, but I am taking steps to reduce my use of plastic and packaging. Here is what I have been doing to buy/use less packaging at the grocery store:
  • Bring produce bags! Going in with bags for things like apples, lettuce, or whatever produce you get, saves from using those small plastic bags that are just thrown away every week. And if you buy a lot of produce like me, then you are using so much less plastic. My favorite produce bags are by a company called Earth Junky. I bought them on Amazon here.
    • Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. I am not a paid spokesperson for these bags, but I do highly recommend them.
  • Bring reusable grocery sacs. This seems like a simple thing, but taking grocery sacs can save so many plastic grocery sacs from being used. And if they are as cute as the one in this picture, you might even enjoy carrying them.
  • Come prepared. Believe it or not, going to the grocery store knowing exactly what you need with some sort of list handy means you are going to spend a lot less time wandering the isles asking yourself, "Do I need this?" or "These microwavable dinners look good for tonight." 
  • Find the right store. Stores that offer bulk food aisles for things like grains, nuts, granola, chocolate, etc., where you can come prepared with a mason jar or produce bag, make shopping zero waste so much easier. My favorite grocery store is Sprouts Farmer's Market because of its prices and quality, but Whole Foods is good too. A normal local farmer's market would be another place to check out too.
The first three things are probably the most important in my book because these strategies can be used at any store and will help you use less plastic. So if you are just starting your zero waste journey, start with the first three things while looking for your favorite low plastic store. 

If you use any products that help you be zero waste at the grocery store or want me to try out any products, then leave them in the comments, and I'll check them out.

Comments