Homemade Applesauce Recipe

I LOVE apples. I am a full believer of eating an apple a day. I also love snacking. Applesauce combined apples and snacking. Perfect! Unfortunately, most applesauce at stores is either in big plastic containers or those tiny one sized plastic containers. I used to buy 6 tiny containers of applesauce every week. Buying one pack once a week for 6 months is 156 tiny plastic containers.. For a year, that's 312. 312 plastic containers!! I know they can be recycled, but a few years ago, I wasn't recycling and I'm sure that there are other people that don't recycle or reuse those containers either.

Since I still wanted to eat applesauce but didn't want to buy the glass jarred applesauce or the plastic containers, I had to find my way around it. Well thankfully, homemade applesauce is zero waste! And it's extremely cheap to make!

I buy the golden delicious apples at Sprouts Farmer's Market. They're usually 98 cents a pound, so I can get a lot for really cheap. I buy about 9 of them at a time. I follow the simple recipe below and end up with about 7 days worth of applesauce. I can compost the cores and peels of the apple, so it ends up being zero waste too.




Comments