Day 541... I tried Hungryroot

My mom has been on a fitness journey for the past few years, and has recently stalled out. I suggested she try going vegan because it would be more fresh and whole ingredients which might help her reach her goals. She had never considered going vegan, but she decided to try it. She didn't know what to cook, so she thought a subscription box would be good for her. She looked around and chose Hungryroot. She absolutely loved it. She said the recipes were easy, tasty, and she could barely tell she was eating vegan. She has been using Hungryroot for about a month now and plans to keep using it.

While I love cooking and enjoy making new recipes, sometimes I don't have the energy to make a new recipe or go to the store. My mom got a coupon to share with me for $40 off my first box. I decided to give it a try for a week. I took the Hungryroot quiz which allowed me to select I'm vegan. It also asked which meals I want want and some recipes I might like. Then after I paid, it showed me which recipes it recommended. I wasn't too thrilled about some of them, so I edited my delivery. 

Hungryroot uses a credit system. I paid for 3 2 serving meals which equals 28 credits. The recipes range between 7-12ish credits. There are also grocery options that can be from 1-4 credits. You can pick any combination of recipes and grocery items to equal the 28 credits. If you end up going over, you can pay the difference which is really nice. I selected the following 3 recipes: cashew cheddar pasta recipe, a stir fry with rice and quinoa, and got a few grocery items to make enchiladas with the only thing missing being a cheese sauce. 

I tried the stir fry first which was a rice quinoa mix with garlic chickpeas, green beans, and a superfood tomato sauce. The portions were large. It came with a whole bag of green beans which definitely felt like too many for the recipe. But the mix with chickpeas and grains and the superfood tomato was fantastic. I honestly would have left the green beans out if I made it again. Overall it was a good choice, and I would get this again. 

The next recipe I tried was the grocery items to make enchiladas. I made my own cheese sauce and used their sweet potato wraps, spicy refried beans, and the superfood tomato sauce.The sweet potato wraps came broken in half, so I made mini enchiladas. This was definitely my favorite recipe of the 3. It was just super tasty and was so filling that I didn't want to eat anything else the rest of the evening.

The last recipe was the cashew cheddar pasta with broccolini. I make my own vegan cheese sauce, so I was curious to see how it would compare to Hungryroot's. I thought it was okay. I think I like mine better because it is more like mac and cheese. The Hungryroot version tasted more alfredo-y. It was great with the broccolini though. 
My order also came with a free gift which was a chickpea flour cookie dough. These cookies were sooo tasty, but they didn't quite firm up. I ended up eating them in pieces with a fork since they were so breakable. 

Overall, I had a great experience using Hungryroot. The food was good, the portions were large, and the ingredients seemed fresh and simple. The only downsides include cost. Without the coupon it would be about $60 for the same amount of food. That is about what I spend in one week in groceries which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Another downside is the credit system didn't seem like enough to get 3 full meals. The pay if you go extra is a nice option as well as having the grocery option, but it would be nice to just choose 3 recipes. The other thing is the variety. It seemed like most of their recipes were just variations of each other, so I feel like over time it could get boring. Plus, I love cooking so much that I don't know how feasible it is for me to do it for the long term. 

If you are considering trying a vegan meal subscription box, I would recommend Hungryroot. This isn't sponsored, but I wanted to give an honest review it my experience.

Please like, share, and follow for more content!

Comments